Students will need to prepare for the learners permit test and gain their driving permit to be able to test for their driver license in class.
Download the State Driver Manual and STUDY!
Students should then go to either the Phenix City or Opelika DMV. You will need to bring:
- original/certified copy of your birth certificate,
- social security card and
- a school enrollment form (get from SSHS front office)
Be prepared to take an eye exam, pay $5, and then take the online permit test
- if you fail the eye exam you will not be able to get your permit until corrected
- if you fail the computer test you will be required to pay another $5 fee.
Once you pass you will then pay $36.50 for your permit. This permit will become your first driver license.
RECOMMENDED STAR ID- Permit or First Driver License
WHAT IS STAR ID?
- In order to comply with the REAL ID Act, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency developed the STAR ID program. STAR ID is a step beyond an ordinary Alabama driver license or non-driver identification card and it meets all the requirements of federal law.
- Effective October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID compliant license/ID (STAR ID) or another form of identification for domestic air travel.
- (See TSA’s website for a full list acceptable identification for domestic air travel)
- STAR IDs are issued to qualified individuals only at Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Driver License exam offices. County operated license offices will continue to provide renewals/duplicates for license, ID cards, and STAR ID.
- Once the provision of the REAL ID Act (STAR ID) goes into effect, individuals who do not have an unexpired U.S. passport will need an Alabama STAR ID to board commercial aircraft for domestic flights or to enter certain regulated federal facilities.
Document List Link https://www.alea.gov/dps/driver-license/star-id/star-id-document-list