Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Lydia Sanford
- Graduated from Monroe County High School in Monroeville, Alabama.
- Received both a Bachelor's Degree and Master's of Science in Elementary Education at Troy State University.
- Participated in Persistent Issues in American History Teacher's Institute at Auburn University.
- Attended 2011 Colonial Williamsburg Teacher Institute in Williamsburg, VA
- Attended 2012 Mt. Vernon Teacher Workshop
- Attended 2012 National Archives Teacher Workshop in Washington, DC
- Attended 2012 Gettysburg Teachers' Site Tour in Gettysburg, PA
- AMSTI trained - Summer 2011
- Achieved Highly Qualified Status as of 2001.
- Completed Alabama Best Practices Course
- Participated in Auburn University Primary Sources in Education program - 2015-2016
I have been teaching for 20 years. I taught 2nd grade for 4 years before moving to 5th grade. I enjoy teaching 5th graders and love working with the other 5th grade teachers to make learning fun for my students.
In the upcoming 2017-2018 school year, I am super excited to be teaching Social Studies. During this year, we will be discovering how our country was founded. This was an interesting time during our country's history. We will also be learning about explorers, different Indian tribes and civilizations, as well as, the wars fought early in our history.
We have a brand new Science series - Stemscopes for the upcoming year. We will be completing Stem activities and experiments, as well as, reading and writing about Science and the activities. Students will be practicing their skills and solving a variety of "science crimes/investigations"!
I have been married for 34 years and have 2 children - Clayton and Joshua. Both of my sons attended Smiths Station Schools from kindergarten to high school graduation. Clayton graduated from Auburn University in 2009 and is now living with his wife, Lauren, and 3 year old daughter, Mackenzie, in Huntsville, AL. Joshua graduated from Auburn University in 2011 and has son, Aiden. Joshua and Aiden live in Smiths Station. I have lived in Smiths Station for the last 30 years and can't think of a better community to live in!
I have been teaching in Smiths Station for 16 years. This year I am teaching fifth grade Social Studies and Science. I am the Junior Beta Club sponsor, and fifth-grade level leader.
In my spare time, I enjoy going to the beach, spending time with my boys, my daughter-in-law and my grandchildren. I also enjoy "lazyin'" by the pool. In the fall, I enjoy watching college football.