Ensure that all English Learners (ELs) have equitable access to a high-quality education.
Language: ELs Acquire English proficiency within a reasonable time period.
Content: ELs work toward, and eventually master, content-area standards.
Family Engagement: Provide parents with the school-related information they need to make informed decisions about, and be helpful participants in, their children’s education.
The Lee County Schools’ ESL Department:
- Identifies English Learners (ELs).
- Develops Individualized Language Acquisition Plans (ILAPs) for ELs.
- Ensures that ELs have meaningful access to grade-level curriculum.
- Supports general education teachers who implement the core program, ESL.
- Provides a supplementary language assistance program.
- Addresses ELs with disabilities equitably.
- Assesses ELs’ progress toward attaining English proficiency.
- Exits and Monitors ELs.
- Evaluates the ESL program.
- Provides "meaningful communication" with parents, in their native language.
- Provides on-going EL-related professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
- Employs a staff who advocate for ELs at the local, regional and state levels.
ESL Program Specialist
Lee County Board of Education
2410 Society Hill Road
Opelika, Alabama 36804
Phone: (334) 705-6000
Fax: (334) 745-9795