Lee County Schools Eclipse Information
Lee County Schools, Ala. — Lee County schools will be open on Monday, August 21. Safety is our first priority and each school has established procedures to ensure safety to all students during the Solar Eclipse.
Below is a list of precautionary measures the Lee County Board of Education will take.
- Each school’s principal will approve any solar eclipse viewing and the procedures. Parents will receive notification from the school regarding the event.
- Teachers will discuss the hazards of viewing a solar eclipse without proper eyewear and instruct students not to view the eclipse while departing from school or while riding home.
- Parents are encouraged to discuss the hazards of viewing a solar eclipse without proper eyewear and instruct students not to view the eclipse while departing from school or while riding home.
- Any student participating in the eclipse viewing will be required to have a completed permission form.
- All solar eclipse glasses will be certified by either NASA or the American Astronomical Society and will comply with ISO 12312-2, the international safety standard for filters.
- While outside, students will be required to wear the solar eclipse glasses the entire time.
- During the eclipse, all physical education classes will be held indoors.
- Students who have afternoon recess will have recess indoors.
- A parent may choose to opt out his/her student of any solar eclipse-viewing event.
- Absences or checkouts for the solar-eclipse will be excused.
- Students not participating in outside solar-eclipse activities may be permitted to view video coverage of the event.
- All teachers will provide learning opportunities supporting the aforementioned event.
The maximum viewing of the solar eclipse will take place Monday, August 21 at approximately 1:30pm CST.